Work, work, work, work, work, work

 If you did not sing that title like Rihanna then I do not know if we can be friends.  That song gets stuck in my head and I literally only know the first line.  

But, anyhow...let's talk a bit about work.  Y'all...it has been a crazy last week.  Good things are coming but good gravy am I going to be running around like a chicken with my head cut off.  You know what though? That is ok.  I asked for this level of crazy.  

So, let's get down to it. What happened.  Well...I said yes. I said yes a LOT.  Like... a lot a lot.  Like so much.  And here is what I said yes to in order of things that happen first.

1. I said yes, I can write an article for Texas Library Journal.  And you know what? I did, and it was published.  You can read it here.  It is called InterLibrary Loan: Saying Yes Matters.  And it is all about my amazing staff and how fulfilling ILL requests is super important.  In our case being a medical library, we actually provide information that can save lives.  It is amazing how dedicated my people are.  

Check out the byline!!!


2. I said yes I will submit a poster presentation for TCDL for May.  And guess what, they accepted my proposal.  So now I have to create my poster and do a recorded "elevator" pitch to promote and explain it.  And, the recording has to be between 90 seconds and 3 minutes.  Y'all know me.  I am super long-winded.  This will be a test of my skills for sure. If you would like to attend the conference you can register 

3.  I said yes when asked to present at OnlineEd 2021 which also happens in May.  I will be speaking about how having a roadmap to the future allowed us to handle Covid with grace and flair at HSC.  So, if you would like to see me fall flat on my face...please register for this conference here. It is a simple case study with question and answer sessions afterward.

See...totally official!


4. I said yes when asked to be on two conference planning committees for conferences that happen a week apart in June.  The first is the Kraemer Copyright Conference and the second is the OEN Summit.  I am learning a lot.  Especially that not all conferences are as organized as others.  

5. I said of course I can submit a proposal for that conference in Monterey, California for the fall.  I mean they are not going to accept me anyhow.  Well....I am unofficially accepted to present on our DEI initiative and how we communicated that to vendors and how it has affected our collection and vendor relationships.  I will get the official confirmation in May.  But, I have been told I am on the program.  I just will not name the conference at this moment since it is not official.  But, I have permission to attend and my amazing library will be footing the bill.

6. I said sure, why not also submit that same proposal to TLA 2022.  I am not officially on this schedule yet...but...when you are asked to submit your topic you normally are guaranteed a spot.  Y'all pray for me that I do not mess this one up.  My Vice-Provost is the incoming TLA President.  And TLA 2022 is his baby.  No pressure at all (insert all the sarcasm...like ALL of it).

7. Oh...and I have said, "Yes OCLC my trusted gal Friday and I will do a presentation about evaluating policies and procedures to make your work more effective."  That one needs to be done PDQ.  

This is what happens when you want to have your boss's job one day.  You work it, own it....(pretty woman people, keep up). 

So that has been the job.  Along with all of the normal collection of broken links, ILLiad explosions, and meetings.  Oh, the meetings.  Including one with a VP who knows my name even though I have no idea why.  I am told this is a good thing.  I have a feeling it will be a more work thing.  I will keep you all posted.  

Comments

Popular Posts