Thanksgiving - Or How I Survived My Vacation

Well, yet another holiday of 2018 has come and gone.  Not my favorite holiday by far, but one that has to be observed nonetheless.  Being a community college employee I get an entire week off for Thanksgiving, and for that I am thankful.  Although, honestly, I was rethinking the whole thing after I needed to come back to work to get some rest.  The week went as follows.

Friday, November 16 -  The college President was kind enough to let us all out at noon.  So, I used the opportunity to go and get my holiday shopping done without anyone with me.  This meant that even though I was free to go home I did not do so until 6 pm and by that point, I was exhausted and significantly lighter on funds. 


Saturday, November 17- Girls Day!!!  Small child and I spent the whole day together! We got her eyebrows waxed (and before anyone says anything she wants it done because she gets a giant caterpillar across her face otherwise), say The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, had lunch, saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, and then headed home exhausted but happy. 

The movies were both visually stunning.  The Nutcracker had some surprises that I am not sure made me happy because we regularly watch the ballet.  Fantastic Beasts...I have issues.  So many issues, but I shall refrain for those who have not seen the film. 

Sunday, November 18th - Dance invades our life all the time.  When my daughter tells you, "I can't, I have dance," please believe her.  Team building is an important part of dance.  If the girls like each other they work better together.  So, small child had to go off to not dance at dance class.  They painted and ate and then saw The Grinch.  And I am sure all of this is wonderful and she said she had a great time.  But, all of this meant that I was in the car for four hours on a cold day.

Monday, November 19th - The day of rest and laundry.  I needed the rest and the rest of the family needed the laundry. 

Tuesday, November 20th - Annual checkup and Thanksgiving food last minute shopping.  All you women should know that this day was hell.  But it started with coffe and that makes everything better.



Wednesday, November 21st - The great clean commenced.  I cleaned every room in the house except the bathroom (thanks son) and the kitchen (thanks husband, even if it did take you 6 hours) to prep for the family to be at our house the next day.

Thursday, November 22nd, AKA Thanksgiving- Everyone was supposed to be there by 1.  It was almost 2.  We ate, we laughed, they went home, I drank wine.  Fun times.

Friday, November 23rd - My sister who is not my sister came into town so the husband and I got together for dinner with her and her hunny.  Razzoos Peach Mambo is delicious and their shrimp and grits make me very happy.  We avoided the people who wanted to pray with us because really people...if I want to take about Jesus I know where to go.  Great night with my family. 



Saturday, November 24th- More SHopping!! This time with my mom to get her holiday gifts.  And we did it.  All done. We had a great time because we do that when we are together. 

Sunday, November 25th- The day of rest and laundry take two.  Plus, dinner with my wonderful parents. Mom made a ham and lima beans which we all love.  And the husband and I argued over a puzzle which I clearly completed more of. 

You know, I used to be a SAHM and then when I went to work and my kids got older I forgot what it was that I did all day to keep me busy.  Well, now I remember.  And just think, I have a two-week break coming up for the next big holiday.  Who knows if I will make it.

Hug your family.  Embrace the chaos.  Be thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts