Oops! Totally my Fault!

Here we are again at the start of another school year.  Only this year I have one single person enrolled in school.  That is right people, just small child.  So why can I not seem to keep my stuff together?  School started Monday and I have failed to fill out a required form that my child actually remembered to give to me.  Let's hear it for a parenting win! Go me! The sad thing is that my child will be punished for it if I do not fill it out tonight.  How is that fair? She did her part, she gave it to me.  It isn't as if she knows how much money we make and can complete the form on her own.  It is my fault and yet she will get a deduction in grade if I fail to not only complete it but remember to give it to her.  I am all for accountability.  However, to hold a child accountable for a parent's action is just a bit backward.  I realize I live in Texas and it can be quite backward in thinking, but seriously? 

And then there is work.  Students are back and I am in my element.  I can remember to do everything I need to from filling out paperwork to opening the new fiscal budget, to planning events...and yet, I can't remember to fill out my kid's form.  I bet I know what the problem is.  I really think I have it figured out.  It might possibly be that I have filled out the same form since 2000.  I have literally filled out the exact same form for the last 18 years.  Think about that for a minute. Every school year for 18 years I have had to hand write a multipage form for the US government. In this, the marvelous age of technology, it seems to me that I should be able to log on and update or verify the form.  I can do this with my taxes.  Why can I populate the information that is being requested on a federal financial aid form, but not on a school lunch form?  And mind you, we do not qualify for the benefit that goes with this form. The government knows how much money we made and how many people live in my house, why am I repeatedly forced to do this forms bidding?

And then...just to prove to me that the form was going to be the least of my worries this week the universe decided it needed a laugh...and I lost my debit card.  That is right, the card that is connected to auto bill pay and subscription services has gone the way of the dodo.  And I am pretty sure I threw it away with my lunch trash like kids do with their retainers.  This has been my life this week.

But, you know what? Life is still all good.  Even with the ridiculous form situation and the annoyance of a lost debit card, I am good.  It is time for football and dance practice, pumpkin spice lattes arrived yesterday, my husband loves me, my kids are healthy, my fibro is giving me an extended break, I have tons of work to do at work and I am relishing in it.  Life, even with annoyances is good. 

Take joy where you find it.  Like in the Chick-fil-a biscuit I had this morning.  Delicious joy to start my day.  Find joy, actively search it out.  Do one thing today that makes you happy.  And..go ahead and fill out the stupid form, it will clear a spot on your coffee table. 

Note: Here is where the photo of my kid heading back to school should have been.  NOPE! I didn't take one.  She looked at me, rolled her eyes, and informed me she was not five.  So here she is at five and just a few weeks ago. Ha, I showed her!


Comments

Popular Posts