K-12 Online is Looking Pretty Good

Ok.  So, all of you know that I am the proud mom to three pretty amazing kids.  Ok, I know two of them are adults.  But, I birthed those babies Miss Scarlet and I can call them kids.  Only one of said children is still in school.  And I just had to go through the process of registration.  Again...because our information has totally changed in all the years she has attended.  But, fine...whatever.

Only this year there are some changes.  In the past, I was always able to just click a button or fast sign a form that says, "NO! You are not allowed to hit my child.  Are you out of your mind?" Ok, maybe it said I decline the use of corporal punishment, but you get the point.  Well not anymore my dears.  Now, I have to write a letter and sign it and then deliver said letter to the front office.  Needless to say, the letter is complete and will be delivered by my husband tomorrow.  You would think since he works at the school he could just sign something.  NOPE!

My darling, bearded husband is not allowed to sign anything for small child.  Why you may ask? Becuase, even though she lives in his house and he drives her to school and dance and shows up to every stupid activity this po-dunk school makes her do, he is merely her step-father.  That's right, he is not allowed to do a darn thing.  So, it has to be my signature on my letter.  Does anyone else see the stupidity in this? He lives with her and provides more than half of her support.  He loves her even though he really does not have to.  And he can not say, "Hey! Do not hit my kid!"

And then there is the handbook which includes the dress code.  Apparently, the school wants my child to either be a Roman Catholic nun or wear a Burka every day to be in dress code compliance.  Dear little baby Jesus in a manger...how about we worry about whether my child understands the United States Constitution and can do math rather than be offended because the small lace panel on her flannel may show a spaghetti strap of the full tank she is wearing underneath!  Ninety percent of that stupid dress code is geared toward female students.  Boys, better not have long hair or an earring.  But, girls...just ...well don't breathe it might excite someone and they could be distracted by your shoulder.  And heaven help any transgender child that may live in my district because you will be required to wear clothing that has been designated as appropriate for your birth-assigned gender.

Is it really more important that my daughter's jeans not have frayed edges than her getting a decent education? I see K-12 online in our future.  Not this year, but quite possibly when she begins high school.  There is not a single creative outlet for her in our small school, and she can't even wear a tunic and printed leggings to show her personality. 

I have one thing to say to the people that are super worried about how my kid dresses...get a life.  I am her mother and believe it or not I do know what she wears every day.  How about you let me decide if she looks appropriate and you teach her the damn math.

Comments

Popular Posts