Rants & Raves July Edition

Hello, my lovelies! I hope today finds you in the comfort of air conditioning.  Because we are gonna start this edition of "Rants & Raves" off with a complaint that I hear all day every day.

Rant #1- Sweet Jesus it is hot!

Y'all, I realize that I live in Texas and we are known to top out in the low 100's on a regular basis in the months of July and August.  But...114 is a bit much! And life does not stop because it is hot.  We still have to try and wrangle our hair into some sort of acceptable do.  We still have to put our face on and pray to whatever deity we believe in that it stays all day and does not melt off.  And goodness knows we have to hope beyond hope that our deodorant really is clinical strength.  If you make it through the day without becoming dehydrated or getting heat stroke you have done well.  I love my AC.  It is my new boyfriend.  Don't worry, the husband understands and has agreed that any day it is over 105 I can abandon our nightly snuggle for the cool rush of AC. And if one more person says, "If you don't like the weather in Texas just wait a minute it will change" at me I swear I will not be held accountable for my actions.  Cause ya know what? It did change.  IT GOT HOTTER! We have not had a summer like this since 2011.  And to make it worse you can smell rain in the air and we get nothing! Not one stinking drop.  Ok, I feel better.  I have blotted all the sweat from parts that ladies should not discuss and am ready to move on.

Rant #2 - Fast food

I try really hard not to eat fast food.  It is bad for you and it gives me indigestion.  No one wants me burping all over the place.  But, when I have to get it the drive-through is my preferred mode.  Why you may ask? Because I do not like screaming children crying because they did not get the right Incredible in their happy meal.  I do not care if you wanted Jack-Jack.  Good gravy, momma's teach your kids some manners.  And if I am in the drive-through and you are in front of me please pay attention and keep the line moving.  Every car has a tray right at the dash that is just begging for the loose change you got back.  Just be normal and throw it in there, do not try to organize your darn wallet in line.  Good gravy people, move out of my way so I can get my fish sandwich. 

And now for some more joyful noise.  Good things came my way this last month.  And I thought I would share them with you.

Rave #1- The Jordan Elizabeth Harris Foundation

If you are looking for a local nonprofit I highly recommend this one.  The Jordan Elizabeth Harris Foundation is a suicide awareness and prevention charity that offers free training courses for anyone who is interested in learning the warning signs and how to help those who they think may be contemplating suicide. I am signed up for two of their trainings.  If you suffer from depression or you know someone who does I highly recommend attending an event or making a donation to the cause.

Rave #2 - Kendra Scott

You all know I am high maintenance.  It is ok...I think the secret is out there.  But, until this month I have resisted the urge to shop at Kendra Scott.  That changed this month when I discovered that you get half price on one item during your birthday month.  Thank you, Phyllis, for the information.  And so I went.  And I got a lovely necklace.  And then I did some research.  And I am so thankful that I did.  Kendra Scott the company is based in Texas and philanthropy is one of their core values.  I love the fact that they do campaigns to give back to the neighborhoods that they serve. But, my favorite is the Kendra Cares Program where they allow cancer patients to design their own piece of jewelry.  I do not know about y'all, but when I am sick I do not feel pretty.  She lets people who are sick feel pretty.  And that is something to celebrate. 

Rave #3 - Simplified Planner

So, if you follow my Instagram you know I bought a fairly expensive planner for my birthday.  It is designed by Emily Ley who wrote the book I am currently reading A Simplified Life.  She details living intentionally.  I mean this woman and her husband downsized a booming company so that they had the life they intended.  Brave and a bit crazy, but she is living her best life.  Anyhow, I got the planner because Emily realizes that life does not stop at 5pm and that a small 1x1 square will not give me the space I need to track my life.  I was just tired of logging everything into my phone.  I live with that device and I would rather live intentionally!




And there you have it! Just so you know the academic version of my planner is sold out.  You can preorder the annual version.  And, if your birthday is coming up visit a Kendra Scott store.  Support Texas businesses.  And, if you want to help prevent suicide and bring awareness and you life in the DFW area, please sign up to attend a training. And bonus: Free tacos!  Life is always better with tacos...and friends.  So, thank you for reading.  Drop me a note to let me know what you loved this month.  Or better yet, give me a call and we can drink and talk about what drove us nuts.

Comments

Popular Posts