45...The Saga Continues

So, life has totally happened and I meant to write this last week.  I realize it has been two weeks since my last post and I totally apologize.  But, like I said, life happened.  You know what I mean? That old saying life is what happens when you make plans...something like that...well it happened.

Let's start with the birthday that I was so dreading.  Well, it happened.  And...I am still alive! Woo Hoo!!  And the best part is it was a good day filled with my girls.  My sweet husband sent me flowers.  They are beautiful...as you can see.

And I treated myself to the new Vanilla Bean Almondmilk Latte from Starbucks and a super cute new clutch.  I love the pom poms! So cute! So bright! 
And at the end of the day, I had watermelon margaritas with my girls! 45 was starting right.  I was feeling good.  I was going to get through this.  

You know what comes next.  LIFE! I woke up on Wednesday, got myself dressed and ready to go, had my first cup of coffee, and had my keys in my hand.  And my phone rang.  My sister-in-law was in the ER and we had to go pick up the kids (7 yr old twins).  My SIL, who will be 45 in December, had 4 blood clots in her lungs and was being admitted to a major hospital down the road from the midsize town that she lives in.  Talk about a slap of reality.  Someone my age was being admitted for blood clots which after rounds and rounds of tests have no known cause.  She stayed in the hospital from Wednesday until Saturday.  We took care of the kids until my mother-in-law arrived for the handoff.  And I discovered several things.

1. I was correct in my decision to not have any more children.  Do not get me wrong.  I love my niece and nephew.  But, I am not their mother, and I do not want to be.  I am fine as Aunt Liz, but surrogate mom is not for me.  I have my kids and I love them.  But, I love the freedom I have because they are older just as much.

2. Death is a real possibility and has been for my whole life.  See SIL scary scenario.  However, I will not let age define me.  I will not live in fear.  I am going to work on being happy.  And for those of you that know me, know that I am a realist.  I refuse to call myself a pessimist because my opinions and reactions are built on life experience.  You know...that pesky thing LIFE! So, I will be focusing on me and mine and what works for us and makes us happy.  Because tomorrow is not guaranteed and I will live while I have the chance.

3. I need interaction with adults! Turns out, I need it a lot.  I about went crazy without my allotted adult interaction quota over the last 5 days.  I am no longer a stay home for a week person! I need something to do once the laundry and dishes are done.  Adult children do not make the messes that small ones do...my household runs smoother and needs me less.  Therefore, I need interaction more.

4. I eat when I am bored.  Y'all, I gained three pounds because I ate my way through the time I was home.  This can't happen.  When I weigh more I do not feel good.  I need to feel good to be happy.

Anyhow, after the children were picked up and I recovered my senses and took a well-deserved nap I had a mom day.  Mom and I spent Friday together. We headed to the big city for stores that we do not have more locally and I treated myself to some birthday goodies.  So many companies do birthday discounts.  I took full advantage of them.  Kendra Scott gives you 50% off one item during your birth month.  This saved me so much on a new lovely rose gold adjustable length necklace.  J. Crew sent me a birthday reward since I am a cardholder.  I picked this bright, bold, yellow rattan clutch which screams summer.  Sephora gives all rewards members a freebie for their birthday.  Well, I needed mascara so I got that, and my birthday freebie and samples.  Then mom bought me a super bright Betsey Johnson travel bag at T.J. Maxx.
What you have here is well needed retail therapy which was paid for in freebies and by my sweet MIL who gave me a cash gift for my birthday.  She is a love. You know what the best part of my day was though? Coffee! With my mom.  Walking! With my mom.  Are y'all seeing the pattern? I got adult conversation and exercise and time with my mom and came home refreshed and feeling more like me.  

So, what have I learned? I am still me even though my number increased by one.  And, I do not look bad for my age.  I have decided to embrace the age.  I am alive and fairly healthy.  Overall, that thing called LIFE is pretty good.  But, that doesn't mean I am aging without a fight.






Comments

Popular Posts