Chosen Sister!

So, this past Saturday I received a text messaged from my sister who is not actually my sister.  Do you all have one of those?  I hope you do, they are amazing.  No sibling rivalry, no sharing a room, none of the family drama.  It really is great. My sister who is not actually my sister is my friend of (gasp!) 30 years who I shall call Jen because that is actually her name and she will not care that I use it on here.  Anyhow, Jen texted Saturday and was all like, what are you doing tomorrow. And I was all like, nothing.  And she was all like, good because I am in Plano for a wedding and we need to see each other.  And I was like, YES!!  There may or may not have been an abundance of likes in those sentences, but talking with her always throws me back to the late 80's.  So you will have to deal with it.

Sunday dawned hot as all get out because this is Texas and June and that really is to be expected.  We met at Panera Bread for lunch.  I know, I can see you asking, "Why Panera Bread?"  Simple, it is exactly halfway from Plano to my house.  And honestly, I wanted a bear claw.  Small child and I arrived just as Jen did which was lovely because, duh, no waiting around.  We proceeded to have a lovely lunch with lots of talking and pictures and stuff.  And then we went shopping because we are girls and we had to walk off our lunch and pastry.  Mostly, because we are girls.

The point is we did nothing special and yet in the words of eldest girl child, "You guys look so happy!" And we were.  That is the point.  It had been eight years since we had been together and yet it could have been yesterday.  This is the woman that knows all of my secrets.  She knows all of my bad parts and all of the good.  I call her parents mom and dad and she does the same with mine.  My kids call her Aunt Jennifer because she is their aunt in love.  If you do not know what I am talking about then you need to spend more time with women whose company you enjoy.  Find the ones you can be goofy with, the ones who will wander a Home Goods with you, that you can laugh with and understands who you are.  And be that person for them.  Take time to be a chosen sister.  Find the joy.  And if you are lucky enough to know this person for 30 years (the aging horror), remember who you both were when you met.  Find time to be those girls.  Eat the pastry like you won't have to watch every bit you eat for the next week to ensure it stays off your hips.  Laugh at the silly things you find shopping.  And drag your daughter along with you so that she can see who you were and hopefully, get a glimpse of who you are when you are not mom.  Y'all, find your Jen.


Comments

Popular Posts