How I Spent My Memorial Day - Or The Great Room Redo!

It is the beginning of summer break here and that mean several things.  Small child is out of school.  Adult children have graduated and are looking for work so that they can be functioning adults.  I work a four day work week because the college is closed on Friday's (it is ok, you can be jealous). With all of these changes, it makes perfect sense that I decided that small child needed a room redo since her sister has moved out.  

I feel I should point out that small child had zero interest in redoing her room.  It was "fine like it is mom!" No.  It really was not fine like it was.  She needed a new comforter and the room has not had curtains in the entire five years we have lived there.  Things needed to change and I needed to feel useful.  Thus...room redo.  

Small child, as you remember, is my non-shopping child.  And the last time we went shopping together we came home with a couch.  So, I should have known that she would embrace the change once it was forced upon her.  And embrace it she did.  What occurred next was one of the fastest shopping trips of my life and yet we got almost everything we needed in one spot.  Because Target rocks y'all.  

At Target we managed to get bedding, pillows, curtain rods, and shower curtains (which we used as regular curtains because it is cheaper and they were cool).  We then had lunch and dropped off small child to spend the day with her dad.  By we I mean my mom and me.  And y'all know that last time mom and I shopped for furniture I got the most amazing cabinet.  Anyhow, mom and I continued for the other items on our list and got them at Tuesday Morning and Hobby Lobby.  Quick and easy shopping is the absolute best way to go.  The fruits of our labor can bee seen below.


 

As you can see, small child has a style all her own.  And I totally love it.  The child that will only consider black clothing because it is dark like her soul (yep, a direct quote from the teenage child) selected flamingo sheets! The chair, table, and lamp are from Hobby Lobby, the pink lounging pillow is from Tuesday Morning, everything else is a Target find.  Check out the sloth pillow and the stuffed flamingo.  His name is Phil.  Think about it for a second...he is a Philmingo!  I love my kid!

Anyone who has kids knows that shopping for new items is the easy part.  And this was yet again proven to be true when we went into the bedroom to clean it before adding all the new goodies and rearranging furniture.  And did I get a picture of the room before? No.  No, I did not.  And let me tell you why.  It was a typical teenage room.  That means that even after cleaning it, it was dirty.  Upon moving all of the furniture so that I could mop I found the reason that the girls had ants a while ago.  And that reason was a spilled soda that was not supposed to be in the room to begin with.  Needless to say, there was more cleaning than I had planned on doing.  However, in just four short hours we had cleaned and moved and arranged and hung and created a new oasis for small child. 


One teenage room, all for less than $200.  I realize these are not the best pictures, but small child does like some semblance of privacy and so...This is what you are allowed to see.  New stuff, combined with old stuff, and some original artwork created by small child and viola'.  

But, the best part...the best part was this:


One very happy girl.  




Comments

Popular Posts