New Friends!

Most of you know that by day I am a librarian.  This normally elicits one of two responses.  My favorite is when people say, "Oh, it must be so nice to be able to read all day and get paid." The other one I hear all the time is, "Why? Who uses a library?"  Both lovely statements to my chosen career path.  So, for those of you who may be unaware of what a librarian does, let me be very clear, I have to take time off to read a whole book and lots of people still use libraries.  We happen to be a darn cornerstone of the community!

But, back to the point.  As a librarian, I do have a love affair with my books.  I am very picky about which ones I choose to purchase.  Because, call me crazy...but, why buy them when I can check them out for free?  But over spring break I did buy a few.  So, here is what I bought and what I thought about them.


by Courtney Whitmore
ISBN 978-1423645528

by Suzanne Lenzer
ISBN 978-1623367534

by Gunnar Karl Gislason and Jody Eddy
ISBN 978-0399579936

Ok, so my thoughts.  Overall, I am happy with my purchases.  I have provided Amazon links for everyone, but I got mine through Barnes & Noble with a coupon that made my new friends cheaper.  And everyone loves a cheap date.  These books are really part of what I am beginning to call my reference collection.  I find that when I actually make a purchase it is because I know that I will read it and then reference it over and over.  These books fall into that category.  

Pizzazzerie is a lovely book which provides ideas and recipes for different types of events.  This is a book for people who believe in the power of glitter and hospitality.  It is not for someone who will just throw a bowl of mini hotdogs on the table and think they have appetizers.  Not that there is anything wrong with a mini hot dog, but mini quiche or a cheese board is better if you believe in bling and that more is more.  Whoever said less was more ...well, they were probably misunderstanding the concept.  Beautiful photographs and examples of how to make your guests feel not just welcome, but loved.  I love this book as it shows how I like to do gatherings if given the option.

Graze is how I like to eat.  Small plates of tasty bites.  Cheese as a staple.  Suzanne and I could be friends, I just feel it.  It would bond over good cheese and bread and 87 types of olives.  Will I ever make anything in here...probably not for my family.  But, quite likely for my girlfriends should the opportunity arise.  The food is shown so beautifully that you want to eat the pages of the book.  Buy it for the pretty pictures and just drool over it.  

The Hygge Life is how I am striving to live right now.  Which seems contrary to the glitter and excess that I love.  But, it isn't.  I promise.  Not really.  And here is why.  Hygge is a concept of comfort.  I have begun downsizing and decorating my world for comfort.  The glitter and excess that I use when entertaining only happens when the occasion calls for it.  Most get togethers are coffee and company.  I believe in the power of a wonderful throw blanket and cozy pajamas.  This book encourages you to seek out what makes you get that comfy, cozy feeling and do it, share it, live it.  

So, yes..my new friends are reference books.  THis of course seems ironic since the library where I work just did away with the reference collection.  Life is circular y'all, what goes around comes around.  So surround yourself with friends and books that make you happy and better.

Comments

Popular Posts